Monday, February 5, 2018

Thrust stand test session 2212/5T 2700 Kv motor - 05 Feb 2018

Hi Everyone -

I was busy with the thrust stand again today, testing a very inexpensive motor that I have run in many of my planes in the last couple years, the 2212/5T 2700 Kv, I got mine from Gear Best.
This type of motor is readily available all over the internet, I have seen several vendors on EBay and even purchased a couple from Banggood.  Unfortunately, the ones I got from Banggood ran extremely hot and pulled well in excess of 40A, so I don't know what happened there😒  It is quite a bit heavier than most of the quad racing motors I have been testing at 66 gr/2.3 oz and you must provide your own connectors and prop mounting adapter/collet, so that adds a bit to the price.  I buy my 3.17 mm adapters from RC Timer as they are inexpensive and pretty decent quality.

Rcplanepirate has done considerable testing with this motor and shot a couple of videos, you can find his YouTube channel here.

You can read the full details on my motor spreadsheet, I have created a new page just for this motor, along the bottom you can find the tab to click to take you to the page.

Today I tested three different props I have run on this motor in the past on 3S
 I also experimented with two different ESCs that I have been comparing recently.
This test session once again proved that I can never take anything for granted until I do the testing and see the numbers😐  I have been raving about the 6x4 APC gas prop for several months now being so much better than the 6x4 APC electric knock off from Hobby King and it has been both on the bench and in the air.  Well, the numbers were so much better at full throttle with the 6x4 APC style electric with the HobbyWing ESC, I had to do the test a second time to make sure I didn't do anything wrong😕

This motor produced significantly more thrust at full throttle with all three props using the HobbyWing ESC with the settings above.  The 6x4 KMP produced the most thrust at 1060 gr/37.4 oz of thrust, but drew 39.1A to do so, a bit high I think for this motor.  Where I really had to scratch my head is that the 6x4 APC gas prop produced 999 gr/35.2 oz of thrust drawing 35.6A, then the 6x4 APC style electric produced 1045 gr/36.9 oz of thrust and only drew 35.7A to do so!😲  This prop also produced the most mid range thrust with this ESC as you can see on the spreadsheet.

Using the Turnigy Plush ESC, the definite thrust winner is the 6x4 KMP at 1020 gr/36 oz drawing 35.7A which I think is in the ball park for this motor from my many flights even in warm weather.

I was actually surprised now that I tested them on an actual proper thrust stand that the 6x4 APC gas and 6x4 APC style electric were pretty much dead even in mid range and top end thrust.  Again, a real head scratcher, but some very good numbers for such an inexpensive motor.  Of course the HobbyWing ESC is not a cheap ESC, but I think it will be worth putting this motor in a plane with this ESC and the 6x4 APC style electric prop and see what happens since I have a couple😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

No comments:

Post a Comment