Tuesday, February 27, 2018

RC Powers F-18 V5 motor change number...5?! ;) - 26 Feb 2018

Hi Everyone -

Had these two steeds out today ripping up the skies😎

Here is flight video of the F-18 V5 using the Multistar Viking 2208 2600 Kv motor, 6x4 APC gas prop, Turnigy AE-45 ESC on 3S.


If you are interested in more of the details on my latest bench testing session with this powerful little motor as recommended to me by rcplanepirate, please go to this blog post.   If you would like to see results with this motor tested with several other props and on 4S, please check out rcplanepirate's YouTube channel.  

If you are interested in more details about my F-18 V5 as it is modified from the original plans, please check out this blog post.  

As mentioned in the video, I am running custom settings on the Turnigy AE-45A ESC of 22.5 degrees for timing and 24 KHz for PWM frequency.

I was really impressed with this setup, in the past I had run the DYS BE2208/7 2600 Kv motor with both the 6x4 APC gas prop and the Master Airscrew 6x4x3, the Grayson Hobby Super MegaJet V2 on the MA 6x4x3, the 2212/5T 2700 Kv motor with 6x4 APC gas prop.  This Viking motor setup runs the smoothest, strongest and most powerful of them all and is lighter than any of the others.

After I shot the video, I ran this motor/ESC combo pretty hard, flying 10 consecutive flights without a break.  The motor ran smooth and consistent and although the temperature was cool at 5 C/41 F, the motor and ESC were barely warm.  For a smaller motor that is lower Kv than many I have tested, it has considerable torque, perhaps the longer 8 mm stator helps with this and the fact it produces 600 gr/21.2 oz of thrust at 50% throttle.  Towards the end of the flight session, the wind picked up to about 5-10 mph and it powered through without issue, I didn't have to really play around with the throttle much at all over flying in calm winds.

I was also impressed by the smooth delivery of power throughout the throttle range provided by this motor/ESC combo.  With some setups I have tested occasionally, you get kind of "dead spots" in the throttle range (no matter how many times I set the throttle points) where it just doesn't respond that well or you get some motor/ESC combos that the difference between about 80 and 100% throttle is not noticeable.  Not with this setup, the throttle response is very quick and precise.

As mentioned in the video, the F-18 V5 while not a slow poke at all is the "draggiest" plane in my hangar, so having a light powerful motor with lots of torque really makes for an awesome flight experience😀  While a bit pricey at $28.70 USD (price just went up by $0.56 😒), if they go back on sale again (I paid $16.10 for mine), I might pick up another as a spare.

As I have to find homes for all of these quad racing motors I have been testing, I think for sure I will leave this motor in this plane for awhile so that I can get some durability testing done.  It is certainly one of the best overall quad racing motors I have tested thus far and I think has a lot of potential to be pushed harder on 4S maybe or run with a wider variety of props than I use.😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment