Thursday, February 15, 2018

ESC field test showdown - Turnigy Plush 40A and Turnigy AE-45A

Hi Everyone -

I managed to get out today and field test the Turnigy AE-45A ESC which is a new ESC to me.  This was the focus of the test session today, but after doing some bench testing a few days ago, I also wanted to compare it to the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC which has long been my "go to" ESC.  Here is the comparison video that I shot today.  After watching it a couple more times before uploading, I certainly think there was noticeably better performance with the Turnigy AE-45.


You can read my initial impressions and basic testing with the motor/prop/battery combo used in todays flights at this blog post.

After shooting the video, I flew several more flights with the Turnigy AE-45 ESC, logging 10 flights in total.  I found the throttle response to be very smooth, the BEC worked well, never had any issues with power delivery to the motor or the servos, so at this point without having done any advanced testing, the factory default settings on this ESC do seem to provide better power than the factory settings on my Turnigy Plush 40A ESC.  As I mentioned in the video, my Plush ESCs are a few years old and are version 3.1, they currently are up to version 4.2.  I know there is a difference in the BEC, I'm not sure if they did anything else to upgrade the performance of the Plush ESC from V3.1 to V4.2 however.

Quite a bit more testing still to do with this ESC, I have experimented with all the timing and PWM combos on a higher Kv motor, you can read about those results in this blog post.

Although this is quite a minor thing, just something to know if you decide to try the Turnigy AE-45 ESC, when you first plug in the battery, it runs the normal tones most ESCs do, but then it takes 2-3 seconds before it starts to initialize and run the beeps for each cell of the battery and then arm.  This is about twice as long as the Turnigy Plush, so it took me awhile to get used to so that I didn't think there was something wrong with the ESC😏

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment