Tuesday, February 20, 2018

ESC field test showdown #2 - Turnigy Plush 40A vs Turnigy AE-45A

Hi Everyone -

A pristine winter scene...
About to get interrupted by some serious park jet noise...😎
I was out today doing some more field comparison between the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and the Turnigy AE-45A ESC  I had done previous field testing with these two ESCs, however with factory default settings in both and a different motor.  You can read more about that at this blog post including flight video.  Here is the flight video from today's testing.



As mentioned in the video, I used default settings in the Plush as a benchmark since I have been running it that way for years with numerous different motors.  Then I ran the same setup (RC Timer FR2306 2650 Kv motor, 6x4 APC gas prop, and Gens Ace 2200 3s 45C battery) using the AE-45 with custom settings of 22.5 degrees timing and 24 KHz PWM (pulse width modulation) frequency.  As mentioned in the video, this seems to be a good custom setup for the AE-45 for most motors I am currently running.  The 2212/6 2200 Kv motor seems to like factory default settings as mentioned.  You can a bit more of a synopsis of motor testing here at this blog post.  You can also just go directly to my motor test spreadsheet, each motor has it's own tab which you will find along the bottom of the spreadsheet.

I ran about six flights through the AE-45 today with these custom settings, this motor performed really well, overall I would say that the bench test numbers translate well to the field.  As I mentioned, on the bench the custom setup with the AE-45 gave me 62 gr more thrust at 50% throttle and 102 gr more thrust at full throttle than the Plush did.  I definitely felt that the AE-45 in this configuration gave me increased mid range power and torque and better top end performance.πŸ˜€

Interestingly, even though the air temp was -2C/28 F, the motor was coming down just the tiniest bit warm.  I am pushing it pretty hard, it is a 33A motor and on the bench it was drawing 33.6 amps with this prop and ESC setup on 3S.  I might have to be a bit more careful with it in the summer when the temps are mid to high 20s C.

It has taken quite a bit of time and experimentation to find these settings which I think will work well for most motors at 2600 Kv and above that I have been using with a couple of exceptions.

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment