Saturday, February 24, 2018

Multistar Viking 2208 2600 Kv motor bench test session - 24 Feb 2018

Hi Everyone -

I did a bit more experimenting with testing the Multistar Viking 2208 2600 Kv motor today with a couple of different prop and ESC combos.  In bench and field testing, this has proven to be the most powerful quad racing motor under 2700 Kv that I have tested and in fact one of the most powerful overall.  It has reached 1000 or more gr of thrust with six different combos of props and ESCs on 3S, however one of them I probably would not use due to the quite high amp draw at full throttle.  It is one of the few quad racing motors that I have tested to show results that high at full throttle.

You can read the results of the testing on my motor test spreadsheet, by scrolling along the bottom, you will find the tab for this motor to see the results.  I have highlighted in light green the best setup for each ESC I have tested with thus far.  I did not test it with the HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A with these props below as I have that dedicated right now to another plane and might never run this motor with that ESC.

Today I tested with the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and Turnigy AE-45 ESCs using the 6x4 KMP and Master Airscrew 6x4x3 props.  You can find links to these ESCs and props on the spreadsheet.  The KMP has produced some very good numbers on the bench, I only have one of them right now, so I haven't done a lot of field comparison just yet.  I tested the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop as I had run that a lot on the DYS BE2208/7 2600 Kv motor a lot in the past, so I wanted to see how this motor made out with it.

So I saw some pretty decent results.  With the Plush ESC, the 6x4 KMP produced some good mid range and top end results, better on the bench than the 6x4 APC gas prop.  Although the MA 6x4x3 produced slightly better top end thrust, it's mid range results dropped off considerably compared to the other two props and I know from experience that third blade does cause some drag in the air.  So it would be a matter of field testing the 6x4 KMP and 6x4 APC gas to decide which was the better performer for my flying style.

With the Turnigy AE-45 using the custom settings I found of 22.5 degrees for timing and 24 KHz of PWM frequency, again the 6x4 KMP had very good bench results, significantly more top end thrust 65 gr/2.3 oz than the 6x4 APC gas, but slightly less (15 gr) mid range power.  Mid range efficiency is pretty much the same with both these props pulling the same number of amps.  At full throttle, the extra 65 gr of thrust required 0.8 more amps drawn, so not too bad.

With the AE-45 ESC, the MA 6x4x3 has good top end thrust, again over 1000 gr (1035), but comes at a big amp penalty, drawing 40.7A or 11% more amps than the KMP prop and produces less thrust, so I don't think I would use this prop with this ESC.  Hobby King rates this as a 39.1A motor, I personally think it could handle more than that, but if I have another prop that produces more thrust for less amps, I'll go with that all day.  As well, with a significant loss of mid range power (45 gr less than the 6x4 KMP), it makes that decision even easier😊

So I am thinking about using this motor on a project I am currently pondering for the near future, so good to know I have a couple of options of props to try out, I will probably at this point go with the Turnigy AE-45 and evaluate the 6x4 KMP or 6x4 APC gas.😀

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment