Sunday, February 18, 2018

Monster bench test session - 18 Feb 2018 :)

Hi Everyone -

I managed to get quite a bit more bench testing done today to fill in the blanks with several of the quad racing motors I had not tested on custom settings with the HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A and Turnigy AE-45A ESCs.  For all the complete details, you can go to my motor test spreadsheet.  I used the 6x4 APC gas prop and Gens Ace 2200 3S 45C battery for all testing, links to these are on the spreadsheet.

I will go through the motors that I updated today and what I tested.  I used custom settings on both ESCs mentioned above based on testing I have done already with a few other motors.  With the HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A, I used timing setting of 26.25 degrees and PWM frequency of 8 KHz.  For the Turnigy AE-45A ESC, I used timing of 22.5 degrees and PWM of 24 KHz.  I must caveat that the Plush I am currently using is the V3.1, Hobby King currently sells the V4.2, so perhaps the numbers would be better with the V4.2 than mine.

2212/6 2200 Kv

I tested this motor with the HobbyWing ESC with the custom settings above and saw an increase in the mid throttle power over the previous best combo of the AE-45A at factory default of 23 gr at a cost of a 2A increase in amp draw, but then saw a 25 gr drop in full throttle thrust.  I think for this motor, just the simple "plug and play" of using the AE-45A default settings is the best way to go.

Foxeer DATURA X2206 2700 Kv

This motor is quite interesting as the differences in thrust and amps drawn is not huge between the Turnigy Plush, HobbyWing and AE-45A ESCs.  About 20 gr more mid range thrust with the HobbyWing and AE ESCs, a little bit more top end thrust with the AE, so since the AE is the least expensive of the three ESCs, this makes me happy and I would probably run this with the AE ESC.😊

BeeRotor Z2207 2780 Kv

Again, not a whole lot of difference between the three ESCs with this motor, a bit more mid range power with the HobbyWing and AE ESCs, actually less top end power and it becomes quite amp hungry at full throttle with the AE ESC at full throttle producing a bit less power than the Plush.  I will have to experiment, I like that the AE does have such good results again as it is the least expensive of the three.

BrotherHobby Returner R2 2205 2800 Kv

Again, probably personal choice here, although with the HobbyWing and AE ESCs, it has slightly better mid range and full power though quite a bit more amp hungry at full throttle with both these ESCs compared to the Plush.  The numbers for the HobbyWing and AE ESCs are identical in thrust at mid and full throttle, the HobbyWing is a bit more efficient at mid and full throttle, but considering it is almost twice the price of the AE, I would probably opt to use the AE again in this case.

As I transitioned to the lower Kv motors, this is where I started to see the biggest improvement in performance compared to the numbers with the Plush.

Multistar Viking 2208 2600 Kv

This motor performs better at mid and full throttle with the HobbyWing and AE ESCs.  Best top end thrust with the HobbyWing (15 gr more than the AE) with the custom settings, slightly better mid range with the AE (only 10 gr increase).  This is the most expensive motor I have tested (although I got mine on sale😀) and is the most powerful at mid range and full throttle of the motors below 2700 Kv, so it is good that it performs so well with the less expensive AE ESC.

These next two RC Timer motors are seriously happy with the Turnigy AE ESC😀

RC Timer FR2306 2650 Kv

Although this motor did show very good improvement with the HobbyWing ESC, the AE performance edges it out in mid range, full throttle and price😉  It shows incredible improvement over the Plush ESC when using the AE ESC at 50% throttle, a 62 gr improvement in thrust with only a 0.5 increase in amps.  At full throttle, it improved by 102 gr!😲with a 2.7A increase in amp draw, but this takes the motor to it's limit, it is rated as a 33A motor, it is drawing 33.6A which I think will be fine, I look at it as this motor being fully optimized using the AE ESC with the custom settings as it will probably pull much less than that in the air.😊

RC Timer FR2205 2550 Kv

This is the first quad racing motor I experimented with, so I was really happy to see the increase in performance here😊  The numbers with the more expensive HobbyWing are very good and a definite improvement over the Plush, but the AE numbers are the best.  I saw an improvement of 66 gr of thrust at mid throttle for an increase of only 0.6A draw and a 111 gr increase in thrust at full throttle for only 2.3 more amps drawn😲 and the motor is still under it's amp limit of 32A😀

I don't want to draw a whole bunch of conclusions just yet until I get a chance to get out and field test most of these motors with the Turnigy AE to ensure they run smoothly in the air.  It seems that 2200-2600 Kv motors is where the biggest improvement in performance happens when using the AE ESC compared to the Plush ESCs I have been using.  This is good news as other than the Multistar Viking, these are all fairly inexpensive motor, so if pairing them with an inexpensive ESC improves their performance, that is not only optimizing their performance, but getting the best bang for the buck!😊

Other than the EMAX RS2306 2750 Kv motor, the rest of the motors at 2700 or higher Kv thus far are fairly happy with any of the ESCs, although mid range power is typically better with the AE or HobbyWing ESCs.  However, it did take quite a bit of testing and experimenting to find this, as you can see with some of the motors I have tested, with the higher Kv motors, factory default settings with the HobbyWing and AE ESCs leave a lot to be desired.

I do have some other very high Kv motors on the way to test which perhaps will also like the HobbyWing ESCs better, but from a cost standpoint, if most of them still run really well with the Plush or AE ESCs, that will be a cost saving as the HobbyWing ESCs are very good, but also quite expensive at $40 USD.

More testing to come, but this whole process continues to be very educational😁

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment