Friday, February 16, 2018

Bench testing Racerstar BR2406 2600 Kv motor with the Turnigy AE-45A ESC - 16 Feb 2018

Hi Everyone -

Now that I have the issue solved with my Racerstar BR2406 2600 Kv motor (you can read more about that at this blog post😳), I decided to run it through some testing with the Turnigy AE-45A ESC.

You can read the full details on my motor test spreadsheet.  By scrolling along the bottom, you will find a tab that says ESC testing using this motor.  I had already run a full series using the Racerstar BR2306 2700 Kv motor, you can find the tab for that motor along the bottom of the spreadsheet as well.

By doing the testing on the BR2306 2700 motor, it gave me some clues where not to bother wasting time testing the BR2406 2600 Kv motor, but I ran the motor on the factory defaults for the Turnigy AE-45A ESC anyway (15 degrees timing, 12 KHz PWM frequency).

So, for discussion, here are some thrust results, starting first with the AE-45 on factory default settings.  Prop used for all testing is the 6x4 APC gas and the battery is the Gens Ace 2200 3S 45C, you can find links for these on the motor spreadsheet.

50% throttle - 11.2A/136.5W producing 465 gr/16.4 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 30.1A/356.1W producing 920 gr/32.5 oz of thrust.

On the spreadsheet, I have highlighted in light green the best settings I would use for each ESC I have tested with this motor.  For discussion here they are, remembering that my Turnigy Plush is V3.1 and Hobby King currently carries V4.2.  I have listed from lowest to highest performance.

Turnigy Plush (timing low, factory default)

50% throttle - 11.5A/141.5W producing 487 gr/17.2 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 29.8A/352.3W producing 935 gr/33 oz of thrust.

HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A ESC (timing 26.25 degrees/8 KHz PWM frequency)

50% throttle - 12.3A/149.7W producing 508 gr/17.9 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 31.6A/369.5W producing 948 gr/33.4 oz of thrust.

Turnigy AE-45A ESC (timing 22.5 degrees/24 KHz PWM frequency)

50% throttle - 12.7A/155.1W producing 530 gr/18.7 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 34.2A/411.6W producing 960 gr/33.9 oz of thrust.

So looking at all these numbers and factoring efficiency from a standpoint of how much thrust is produced for each amp drawn, they are all pretty much dead equal.  What I have learned and now look for with these smaller quad racing motors is the best and most efficient mid range power.  Due to their smaller size, they may not have the same torque as a bigger, heavier 2212 size motor, but it seems that thus far, the better mid range power makes up for this lack of size somewhat.

I know that the amp draw at the top end climbs considerably for not a whole lot of increase in top end power, but sometimes I think I have to take that as a compromise to have better power at mid range where I spend more than 80% of my time when flying.

What is interesting with both the HobbyWing and AE-45 ESCs is that as soon as I switched from the factory default PWM frequency, the mid range power jumped significantly with varying increases in top end power.  I would be interested to know what type of motor these two ESCs are set up for at the factory.  I suspect maybe helicopters?  I did see something in the comments on the AE-45 that flashing it with BL-heli firmware made it work better?  Not something I will probably try, but interesting to see how experimenting with the different settings can help to optimize the power output of the motor for what you are looking for.

Thus far, I think my workload has already been cut in half if I look to optimize the settings for each motor as factory PWM settings don't seem to be optimized for smaller, higher Kv quad and park jet motors.  It will be interesting to see if there is a natural cutoff between motors less than 2700 Kv and those at 2700 Kv or higher as the optimum settings with the AE-45 for the Racerstar BR2306 2700 Kv motor are different than the BR2406 as you can read in this blog post.

So I will continue to experiment and update the spreadsheet as I go along😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment