Thursday, December 21, 2017

Initial field testing of the EMAX RS2306 2750 Kv motor

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out for several flights today, putting the EMAX RS2306 2750 Kv motor through it's paces😊

Here is the flight video, I had to put is at a link as it wouldn't load directly from YouTube...😒



Here is the link to my initial impressions and bench testing blog post I mention in the video.

Today I was running the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery with this motor with the 6x4 APC gas prop.

This motor performed really well today, as good or better than the bench test numbers I reported in my initial impressions post.  It certainly performed better than the RC Timer 2306 2650 Kv motor in my last video and is probably the highest torque (or at least feels like it has the highest torque) of the quad racing motors I have tested thus far.  Perhaps the high Kv also helps it feel like it has a little extra torque, but it "muscled" it's way through every challenge I presented it with😊  Certainly not to make the RC Timer 2306 sound like a bad motor, it is not, but this EMAX motor certainly performed better than I expected even though it only has 100 Kv more and the stator is the same size.

As mentioned in the video, it has about the best "hole shot" of acceleration when I hammer the throttle.  The one motor that would be the closest in this aspect that I have tested thus far is the BeeRotor Z2207 2780Kv motor from RC Timer.

As I mentioned in the video, where I noticed the biggest difference over all the other quad motors I have tested thus far is mid range speed and efficiency.  At 60% throttle, it felt faster than any of the other setups, to the point I reduced my throws in the roll axis (both elevon and aileron) by about 10% so I could stay smooth on the sticks and "keep up" with the plane.  I've flown with other motors that have about 17 oz of thrust at 50% throttle, but this one just seemed to really maintain it's energy in the range where I spend most of my time when flying.  This motor is putting out 17.6 oz of thrust at 50% throttle and the plane weighs about 19.8 oz of thrust, so that is 0.9:1 thrust to weight ratio, just at mid throttle and I feel like I am getting all that thrust in that throttle range😎

In high speed runs and vertical climb outs, it maintained it's speed and energy really well, showing plenty of torque going straight up, it just kept going straight up with no lag, sag or complaints from the motor.

As I mentioned in my flight video, I have now ordered some Turnigy AE 45A ESCs from Hobby King to try with this and other high Kv quad racing motors.

Watching this video from rcplanepirate, he is getting over 1200 gr of thrust with the same prop on 3S.  Granted his thrust test setup and battery are different than mine, but that should not account for 400 gr difference in thrust I wouldn't imagine, so I can only think it is the ESC he is using which is a Turnigy AE 65A, that is helping with that much increase in performance.  If you fast forward to about 7:50 in the video, you can watch RCPP's test of this motor with a 6x4 APC gas prop on 3S.

So all things being equal since I have field tested all my quad racing motors on the Turnigy Plush ESCs on low timing in either 30A or 40A size, this motor is the best thus far by a slight edge over the BeeRotor Z2207 2780 Kv from RC Timer.  This motor has a bit better mid range speed and efficiency when "yankin' and bankin'" around than the Z2207, "hole shot" acceleration and top speed are about the same which makes sense as their bench test numbers are almost identical.  

I'm excited to keep thrashing this one about, it ran strong all day, no problems whatsoever, and being as light as it is, even 3 gr lighter than the Z2207 motor, EMAX has seems to have really done their homework on getting every bit of power out of each gram of motor weight.  And considering it is rated at 58A according to the specs on the Hobby King link, there is a lot of potential there😃

If you want to see all the bench test numbers for all the quad racing motors I have received thus far, please go to this motor test spreadsheet, the quad racing motors have their own tab along the bottom so you can compare them easily.

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, Scott. It rocks. Cheers from Brazil. Have a Happy Christmas. Silvio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Silvio, much appreciated :) Feliz Natal para você e sua família :) Cheers, Scott

    ReplyDelete