Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Modified RC Powers F-18 V5 "Table Talk"

Hi Everyone -

First a little of the "real" sound of freedom to get you motivated😎
As mentioned in the  video below, here is the supporting blog post.😊  Please enjoy the video, links are below it.

Link to the Modified RC Powers F18 V5 "Table Talk" video (I couldn't seem to get it to load directly from YouTube😒)
Links


Plans for the RC Powers F-18 V3, plans are free, but you must become a member of RC Powers to get them (also a free site to join😊);

Wikipedia link I used for the F/A-18 Super Hornet diagram discussed at the start;

RC Powers T-50 V5 build log - Part 2 that I mention in the video;



RC Timer 40A ESC (this one has been very reliable, it is a bit heavier than the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC I normally use);

RC Timer 9 gram nylon gear servos (used for the elevons);

RC Timer 5 gr nylon gear servos (used for ailerons and rudders);

The pages of the F-18 V3 plans printed at 91% to get the templates for the LERX (leading edge root extension), dogtooth at the wing tip and vertical stablizer are 4 and 6-9.  LERX on page 6&7, dogtooth on page 9, vertical stabilizer on pages 4 and 8.

Dimensions of my KF airfoils on the top.

Measured along the fuselage from the back of the KF to the front of the LERX, approximate 14 and 1/4".
Measured at the wingtip (will be same top and bottom).
Measured on the bottom KF along the nacelle, approximate 4".
Important note:  Whenever modifying and installing KF4 airfoils (airfoil top and bottom), it is very important to ensure that the trailing edges match top and bottom (or as close as you can possibly get them).  If one of the trailing edges is further back than the other by even a couple of mm, it can cause your plane to climb or dive as speed increases.  Better to cut them a bit bigger and trim down as you need to rather than cut them too small as you will probably have to cut another anyway😊

Modified aileron dimensions.  I started at the inside per the plans, where the green arrow is pointing is 2", blue arrow 1 and 1/8" and white arrow 6".
As mentioned in the video, although I modified the vertical stabilizers, I still used the elevon and  rudder dimensions from the stock plans.  

The "missile rails" are 6" long and 3/8" deep, made with two pieces of scrap foam glued together with a half a popsicle stick for extra strength along the bottom.  
I sanded and shaped the rails to look scale after looking at several F/A-18 pictures like this one😎
On both the F-18 V5s, my CG has ended up considerably further ahead than "stock" or dead centre on the "CG spectrum" RC Powers puts on their V5 plans.  As mentioned in the video, mine ended up 1 and 1/8" ahead of stock.  Toothpick shows where stock CG is, "T" pin shows where my F-18 V5 balances best.
Throws

For reference, here are pictures of where I held the ruler to measure my throws (all measurements are one way).  As mentioned in the video, I don't fly with a whole lot of expo, 15% in the pitch and roll and 20% in the yaw.  I would always start off with what RC Powers recommends and adjust from there to suit your flying style😊  Elevons, 1" of travel in the pitch and 3/4" of travel in the roll.
Ailerons - 5/8" travel.
Rudders - 3/4" of travel.
I hope you have found this video and blog post helpful, I really enjoy the F-18 V5, it is a real "sports car" of park jets and after the F-22 V5 my favorite of the V5 lineup I have built and flown thus far.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to leave them in the video comments on YouTube, down below or you can e-mail me at scott.parkjet@gmail.com.

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott



2 comments:

  1. I really Love your build techniques and flight videos and they inspire me!

    My name is Joshua Gere and I am a student studying aeronautical engineering at university and I really enjoy building rc planes as it is my passion!!!

    I really want to get to build the Rcpowers F18 V5 but currently I can not afford to buy the plans.

    It would mean a lot to me if you could please send me the plans if this is alright?

    My email is joshua.gere@yahoo.com

    Looking forward in hearing back from you.

    Many thanks.
    Joshua Gere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh -

      Thanks so much for your kind words, much appreciated.

      I wish I could help you out with the F-18 V5 plans, but I would be violating RC Powers trust and copyright by doing so.

      What I would suggest is getting in touch with RC Powers directly at info@RCPowers.com and let them know of your situation, perhaps they would be willing to help you out.

      If it is the F-18 airframe you are interested in, you can also get free plans for the F-18 V3 https://rcpowers.com/community/threads/f-18-v3-the-%E2%80%9Csmart-plane%E2%80%9D-free.15551/ which is a very versatile and easy to modify plane. All you have to do is join RC Powers and you get the plans for it and the profile Mig-29 V1 for free.

      Before the F-18 V5 came out, I built an F-18 V3 with considerable modifications to experiment with several different things and shot this video discussing what I did and why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V-0UMFAbTU&list=PLKu3yFqYM98kevCB9MmulwOBsRBqUXued&index=6

      Sorry I can't be of any more help than that, like I said, perhaps getting in touch directly with RC Powers might give you more success. Best of luck with your RC and university journey :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete