Thursday, December 14, 2017

RC Powers T-50 V5 build log - Part 1

Hi everyone -

As I wait patiently for all the quad motors I have ordered to show up, I decided I might as well pass some time when the weather isn't conducive to flying building a new plane, at least one that is new to me😊  So I decided on the RC Powers T-50 V5.
On their website, RC Powers claims "this one is even faster" so I assume they are comparing it to the F-22 V5, my favorite of all the V5 series thus far.  So I'm game for the challenge, plans are printed off already to build it at 95% just like I did with the F-22 so hopefully once everything is taped together my wingspan should be about 27".
I plan on building with a combination of Dollar Tree foam (DTF) and Depron to minimize weight and drag while maximizing strength.  Like most of the V5s, once I have everything cut out the build should not take too long as they have a fairly low parts count.

Like I did with the F-22, I will move the motor forward at least 1" if I can to help compensate for the weight in the back end of the paper left on the DTF.  I will probably make the vertical stabs out of DTF to keep those thin and make the elevons from Depron to reduce build hassle and the amount of reinforcement needed to keep those strong.

I will know better what other mods I want to make once I get the plans taped together and get an idea of proportions of everything.  I suspect I might be reducing the vertical stabs a bit to help the scale look and to reduce some drag.  Ailerons will be increased in size to be similar to those on the F-22 and I may fashion the "boom" between the ailerons like on the real T-50, now being referred to by Wiki and most of the rest of the world as the Sukhoi Su-57  However, I will continue to refer to it as the T-50 to prevent confusion😉
I will also be modifying the prop slot and the nacelles so that I will be able to run a shorter quad motor in this plane like I have with my last few builds.  I will continue to update the blog as I make progress, hopefully passing along my thought process for why I am doing certain things the way I do and lessons learned as I go along😊

Should be fun!

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom!

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment