Tuesday, December 26, 2017

RC Powers T-50 V5 build log - Part 3

Hi Everyone -

I have managed to keep slowly plugging away at this build around all the crazy Christmas and holiday activities that have been ongoing the past week😊  Here are all the parts finally cut out after all my measuring, calculating, drawing, etc.
In this next series of pictures, I discuss how I did the final sizing of my KF4 airfoils.  First I taped the front piece of the wing plate on where I had cut this off on the plans in order to fit on the 20x30" sheet of DTF.  Then, I laid out the template of the top KF I made from the plans on top of the wing plate and both of those laid on top of another piece of DTF so that I could trace the full top KF including the LERX.
Here you can see where I traced the portion for the LERX and where it meets the leading edge of the wing.  I then placed the template from the plans back on this and traced out the entire top KF including the extra bit I needed at the wing root end to get the dimensions I wanted.
Full top KF not cut out.  I then used this as a template to trace out another top KF and for the main part of the bottom KF.
Using the wing plate as a guide, I drew a line on the inner part of the slot that will accept the outer engine/nacelle tab as the bottom KF will be up against this at it's root.
Then I drew in all the lines and I had my bottom KF ready to cut out.  I then used this as a template for a second bottom KF as well as for a template in the event I want to build another T-50 V5 and use the same KF size, I won't have to go through this fuss again.
Here is the bottom KF sitting on top of the top KF, important to ensure that they are uniform where they will be on the wing.  They can also be trimmed slightly if need be when installed on the plane.  
I cut out my elevons all in one piece and will keep them that way until I sand the leading and trailing edges on the wing plate before mating to the fuselage.  I scored where they will be cut later after sanding as indicated by the red line in the picture.
Before assembling anything else, I made sure to make templates from scrap foam for all those main parts I modified, vertical stab, both KF airfoils and the elevons.  Again, this will make building another much easier if these mods work out well.
Using the wing plate as a guide where I had already marked the CG, I marked this on my top KFs for reference.  I like to hold my planes upside down when I determine the CG before maiden, I just find it to be a bit easier and more accurate.  Of course this gets fine tuned after the maiden and during the "dial in" process.
Now that I have the KF airfoils figured out, I can trace where the trailing edge will be on the wing plate top and bottom since the paper will be removed forward of the trailing edge to keep things lighter, allow for good glue bond between the wing plate and KF and keep the leading edge of the wing more sleek.
In the next phase, I will trim off the paper from where it needs to be trimmed on the wing plate, ailerons, vertical stabs, hinge the elevons and ailerons, install the reinforcement in the wing and vertical stabs.  Fussy work, but once that is all done, the rest of the build should come together quickly😊

I'll just keep plugging away as there is still some holiday cheer to be had over the next week!

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott








No comments:

Post a Comment