Tuesday, March 6, 2018

SunnySky Edge R2305 2800 Kv motor initial impressions and bench testing

Hi Everyone -

After waiting 40 days😣 for my SunnySky Edge R2305 2800 Kv motor to arrive, it is finally here😀  I ordered from AliExpress as Banggood was out of stock at the time and AliExpress had a good deal.  They list it as regularly priced at $41.00 USD, I picked mine up for $20.90.  They are also available at Banggood for a regular price of $23.71 USD.  So this makes me scratch my head a bit, the sale at AliExpress is over tomorrow, so I'll be interested to see what the price is then😒, $41.00 seems a bit much to spend for a motor😲

This is only the second time I have ordered from AliExpress, I did find the shipping was very, very slow, almost a week and a half longer than my average Banggood order, so it might be awhile before I order from them again, but here endeth the rant😉

Motor packed nicely in some very dense foam.
I was a bit worried when I saw this label, as I was sure I had ordered CW (clockwise) motors, but then when I looked back at the AliExpress website, I actually didn't get to choose that, only the Kv.  This relates to the direction that the nut tightens as the motors can run whatever direction you want them.  However, after unboxing, the threads are clockwise so that I can still use all the little bullet nuts I have laying around😊
Motor comes with one prop nut, four mounting screws and some very thin brass and what look like steel washers, plus a couple of extra C clips which is a nice touch.
The motor weighs 32 gr/1.1 oz with no hardware (AliExpress says it weighs 29 gr).  The wires are 120mm/4.7" long. 
Bottom and top views of the motor.  As you can see it is wound with several strands of thin wire to allow it to have such a high Kv.  The magnets are quite thin, it is difficult to see if they are curved or not, the air gaps are not bad and tolerances between the magnets and stator look pretty good.

I grabbed this picture from the SunnySky link in the first paragraph.  It does look like a slight curve in the magnets and according to the description they are N52 arc magnets which is common in most higher end powerful motors.  The motor spins very smooth and freely by hand, no jerkiness, however the magnets don't feel quite as strong and "grabby" as some other motors in this size and Kv category that I have tested.
With the prop, X mount, connectors and other hardware, the motor going in the plane weighs 48 gr which is pretty decent for this size motor.
I did get one quick bench test done as I hope to fly and field test tomorrow.  I did this test with the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC, timing at low, 6x4 APC gas prop and Gens Ace 2200 3S 45C battery which has been my standard for testing these quad racing motors.  You can read more details here as well as get the links for all the aforementioned gear on my motor test spreadsheet.

Here are the numbers from this test.

50% throttle - 14.3A/173.6W producing 556 gr/19.6 oz of thrust; and
100% throttle - 41.6A/502.1W producing 1030 gr/36.3 oz of thrust.

So it is pretty amp hungry at full throttle with this setup.  It's numbers are not quite as good as some of the other motors in it's size and Kv range, but I won't know how it really performs until I get a chance to get it in a plane and out to the field😀  Also, when I have a chance in the next few days I will test it with the HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A and Turnigy AE-45A ESCs with the custom settings I found for some of these high Kv motors and see if that makes a difference.

More test data to follow soon😁

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott







No comments:

Post a Comment