Friday, March 30, 2018

Beginner Park Jet series - Step by step build of the RC Powers Mig-29 V1 video series

Hi Everyone -

This blog post is supporting the video I shot below which includes many of the links I discuss and is the intro to my step by step build series of the RC Powers Mig-29 V1๐Ÿ˜Š
As I mentioned in an edit I did at the beginning of this video, I ended up splitting the video series into several videos as I was having a terrible time trying to upload an almost three hour video to YouTube๐Ÿ˜’  Here is the link to the playlist I created with all the videos in one place.


As a caveat, please remember that I am aiming this at folks who are very brand new to the hobby, new to building with foam and building park jets.  I perhaps get a bit detailed in areas, but that is what fast forward is for๐Ÿ˜‰  Many of the techniques I use have carried me through dozens of park jet builds, so they aren't just about this simple to build profile park jet, so hopefully you will be able to carry them into other builds later on.๐Ÿ˜Š

The RC Powers Mig-29 V1 has been an integral part of my park jet journey after smashing up many more complex score and fold builds.  I was "trying to run before I could walk".๐Ÿ˜ณ  After building my first Mig-29 V1, I really turned a corner and never looked back.  This is my first Mig-29 V1 built over five years ago.
I wrote this blog post article awhile ago as part of my "Which Park Jet for me" series explaining why I think the Mig-29 V1 is such a great choice for your first park jet, regardless really of your skill level.

As mentioned in the video above, if you are interested in building this great little plane, you will need to go to the RC Powers website and become a member.  Here is the link to "MASTER LIST:  Getting Started" page.  On the very right side of the banner at the top, you will see a button called "Sign In" which should take you through the steps to sign up for an account.
If you have any difficulties, you can always e-mail them at info@rcpowers.com.  Once you become a member, the free plans for the Mig-29 V1 should be under your downloads, which is a button on the right hand side of the banner at the top of the page.  You will need to be signed in to your account to see this button. Again, if they don't show up rather quickly after you join, contact RC Powers at info@rcpowers.com
Next, go to the page marked Parts on the left side of the banner.  This will give a great list of components and other things that RC Powers recommends and is very worthwhile reading through.
I have also done a complete video series on what I use in my park jet workshop with lots of info on components, materials, tools, etc.  If you are new to building with foam, it might be worth while checking out, you can find the whole series in this playlist on my YouTube channel.

Once you have found your plans, you have two options.  You can print them off on your home computer using the "tiled" plans (named as such because you "tile" the sheets of paper together to make one big sheet) as I show in the video, or take them to a print shop and have them printed on one big sheet of paper.  This file is the "untiled" plans.  As mentioned in the video, the planview.pdf file is no longer part of the plans, but I have permission from RC Powers to share it with you at this link.  This is what the file looks like, you should be able to print it from the link, if not, please send me an e-mail at scott.parkjet@gmail.com and I can send you the pdf file.  This file also has templates for the motor mount and control horns which can be made of wood or stiff plastic like an old gift card, etc.
If you decide to print the plans at home, depending on your printer, I always find the best luck selecting "shrink oversized pages" to get the plans the right size.
A good idea is to print page #8 first as it has a scale on it so you can check how close your printer is.  A couple mm off either way is not important, but if it is way off, you may need to adjust your printer settings to find the setting that works best.
This same scale is on the "untiled" plans, so if you get it printed at a print shop, might be a good idea to take a ruler and check that the scale is close before leaving the shop with the plans.๐Ÿ˜Š

Occasionally throughout the video series, I refer to a couple of other videos I have already done on how I install reinforcement in the foam and hinge my control surfaces.  These videos are in the same playlist where you will find the video above and the step by step build video.  However, I also demonstrate those processes again in the Mig-29 V1 series of videos.

As mentioned in the video above, if you are wanting to build this plane from Dollar Tree Foam (Adams readi-board), I have written a series of articles on my blog with my lessons learned.
The components that I am going to use in my Mig-29 V1 that are a bit different from the RC Powers parts list.
  • Motor - Banggood 2212/6 2200 Kv motor.  I was originally going to use the Turnigy 2826/6 motor from Hobby King (these motors are essentially the same, just different labelling), but that motor seemed to be running a bit rough๐Ÿ˜’  I did this video which discusses this size motor nicknamed "the park jet workhorse" you might find helpful if you are very new to park jets and electrics;
  • ESC (electronic speed controller) - Turnigy Plush 40A.  This ESC is certainly more than what this motor and prop combo need, but I find it easier to start with this size and if I decide I want to give my Mig a little power upgrade later, I don't have to chance the ESC.  If you are interested, I shot this video about the Turnigy Plush ESC. ๐Ÿ˜€;
  • Servos - RC Timer 9 gr nylon gear servos.  I know that RC Powers recommends metal gear servos, but years of experience flying park jets has taught me that these servos perform well, are very durable and the least expensive 9 gr nylon gear servos I have used.  If you are interested, you can watch this video on my philosophy on servos that I use in my park jets; and
  • Battery - I use a few different brands of batteries, but the primary one I use is the Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery from Hobby King.  Again, this battery is probably overkill for this power setup, you can watch this video that explains my logic for using the batteries that I use.
If you have any questions, please leave them on this blog post, on any of my YouTube videos or as mentioned above, you can e-mail me at scott.parkjet@gmail.com.๐Ÿ˜€

Good luck with your build!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom๐Ÿ˜Ž

Cheers, 

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment