Friday, January 26, 2018

RC Powers T50 V5 "Rocket" dialed in - 26 Jan 2018

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out at the field today and blasted another 15 batteries through it in this sessionπŸ‘πŸ˜€
Here is some flight video and discussion from today's session.


You can read my detailed initial flight report to get more information on where I started out with my CG, throws, etc.

As mentioned in this video below where I discuss my process for finding the ideal balance point on my planes, trimming and adjusting the throws, sometimes it takes more than one session to get my planes really "dialed in" the way I want them and this was no exception.  
In my experience, the more high performance the plane is, the more time and fine tuning it takes to get things just right so that I can push the plane and my skills hard without feeling like I am constantly "behind" the plane.😟  This is definitely a high performance plane in speed, acceleration and agility πŸ˜€

I ended up adjusting my CG back about 1/8" from what I found was working in the first flight session.  This then tightened things up even more around the CG as I moved my battery back about 3/8" to get it optimally balanced.  This made response in the pitch and roll even quicker, so as I mention in the video, I dialed back the throws in pitch and roll by 10% (both elevons and ailerons) so that I could keep the plane under control within the limits of my skill level.

This plane is just fast!πŸ˜€  Even at half to 60% throttle, it is moving faster than all of my other planes of this size (27" wingspan).

After I shot the table talk video above, I went over my control surfaces with a fine tooth comb to ensure I had no deflection with zero trim and it paid off as I was able to take out about half the left roll trim I had from the first flight session.  This helps make the plane feel better balanced and I think reduces the drag even more.

As I started to push it harder and faster in tight high speed turns, figure eights, hard pull ups into the vertical, it just seemed to want more, the faster it went, the more stable it feels and it transitions from one maneuver to another at high speed with no problem whatsoever. πŸ‘

It doesn't quite have as broad a speed envelope of it's counterpart the F-22 V5 nor is it quite as stable at lower to mid range throttle, but for top speed and agility, it is quite impressive and easily faster than the F-22 V5.  Once I got things dialed in and balanced the way I like them, it wasn't a difficult or scary plane to fly, but because it is moving just that much faster compared to other planes in my hangar, I couldn't relax too much or look away for very long because by the time I looked back at it again it was much further away than I anticipate my other planes to be😲

That is a good thing actually, it is good for me to build and fly a plane once in awhile that pushes me a bit out of my comfort zone and forces me really keep my control inputs even smoother and under control.


Thus far I am very pleased with how well this plane flies and how my build process and modifications have worked out, a real little "rocket" and a blast to fly.  Did somebody say 4S?! πŸ˜΅πŸ˜πŸ˜‰

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment