Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Initial field test and impressions of the Racerstar BR2306S 2700 Kv motor

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out for several flights today, testing the Racerstar BR2306S 2700 Kv motor I recently picked up from Banggood.๐Ÿ˜Š
Here is the video of one of today's test flights using the 6x4 APC gas prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and 2200 3S 40C battery for consistency.


As mentioned in the video, the motor is fairly light, weighing 44 gr/1.6 oz with prop and hardware.  Like the other quad racing motors I have tested, you need to provide your own X mount and bullet connectors for use in a park jet.
As mentioned, I had purchased this motor to see if it was a inexpensive equivalent to the EMAX RS2306 2750 Kv motor I got from Hobby King which thus far is probably the most powerful motor of all I have tested, but costs $21.99 USD.  This Racerstar motor sells for $8.99.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anywhere in Banggood's specs what the max amp rating is for this motor, they list 35A as being the max amp draw testing a 5045 prop, creating 490W on 4S generating 1090 gr/38.4 oz of thrust.  When I did a quick test with my wattmeter on 3S with the 6x4 APC gas prop, I saw the numbers of 29A/312W, so I would assume that you could run this motor safely up to 35A.  I will have some of my own thrust numbers once I get my thrust stand I have on order.  By comparison, the EMAX motor is rated at 58A, so if a person planned on really punishing their motor in a park jet using 4S or higher pitched props, better to stick with the EMAX motor I would suggest.

I would say that this motor is not quite up to the performance of the EMAX motor, "you get what you pay for" as the old saying goes๐Ÿ˜  However, for it's price, it performed really well, in top end speed and torque not quite as good as the EMAX, but still about mid pack of all the motors I have tested thus far.  In the video, I suggested this motor was about 5-10% as powerful as the EMAX motor, I would say more like 10% as powerful after flying it several more times after the video was shot.

As I mention in the video, the tolerances between the magnets and the stator, the quality of the magnets, the fact the magnets are flat and not curved and slightly further apart than on the EMAX probably accounts for this.  However, for the price, it is the best value motor I have tested thus far from a "power to dollar ratio"๐Ÿ˜‰.  It is the cheapest at regular price, but in torque and top end speed out performs more expensive motors I have purchased from RC Timer (FR2205 2550 and FR2306 2650) and Hobby King (Multistar Viking 2208 2600)  

Compared to the other Racerstar motor I tested, the BR2406S 2600 Kv, it has better top end speed, but not as much torque.

Of course I won't know how durable it is until I put a lot more flights/punishment into it over time, so that factors into whether it is still a true bargain, but from what I saw today, it is definitely the best value for the dollar if a person was on a tighter budget but still wanted some good power for the price on 3S.

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom๐Ÿ˜Ž

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment