Tuesday, January 16, 2018

RC Powers T-50 V5 build log - Part 6...finally finished :)

Hi Everyone -

One modified RC Powers T-50 V5 ready to "slip the surly bonds of earth"😊



I may have mentioned in a previous post that I was thinking of doing the black, white and grey Arctic camo scheme like I have on my test bed Mig-35B, but I decided to go with a "blue" theme this time for something different.  I think it turned out OK, either I thinned the paint too much or the Minwax treatment on the DTF where the paper is didn't allow for terribly good paint coverage.  No matter, I could put another coat of paint on, but that would add weight.  I'm more worried about how it looks at 200 ft away (to help my poor old 56 yr old eyeglass assisted MK 1 eyeballs keep track of it😒) than how it looks at 2 ft away😉

My AUW with 2200 3S battery is pretty good, 552 gr/19.5 oz, so I think it should be pretty light and quick.  I decided to put the EMAX RS2306 2750 Kv motor in this plane as it is billed as being pretty fast according to RC Powers, so I might as well give it the motor it deserves😉.  I will run a 6x4 APC prop and 40A ESC.

I mounted my rudder servos in the back first so that I could then run the rudder servo wire outside the prop slot and then back in through the hole where the elevon servo is mounted.  This will ensure no possible interference with the prop by the rudder servo wires.
As I discussed in my servo video, the wires on the 5 gr servos aren't very long, so since I use a "Y" harness to connect my servos to the receiver, I ran the two Y leads out from the electronics bay so that I could connect the rudder servos, then tacked everything down with a bit of hot glue, including making sure the rudder servo leads were secure in the Y harness plugs.
I decided to trim a bit off the rudders themselves as when it was sitting on the table, these were completely flat on the surface, so by putting a slight angle on them, hopefully this won't cause such an abrupt landing as I flare it in.  I probably trimmed about 1/4" off the back and then angled it down to the rudder hinge line.
For durability, I always spread a very thin layer of glue (this glue which is identical to BSI Foam Cure) on the nacelles and along the bottom of the nose.  It dries light, clear and hard like epoxy, but doesn't turn yellow over time like epoxy does.  Fortunately, I can get this at a local dollar store and it is much cheaper than Foam Cure.
A bit hard to see the glue in this picture, but where it is shiny shows the glue.  I darkened this with black magic marker first to help with orientation.
I put a thin layer on the bottom of the nose forward of the small air vent.  Since the T-50 doesn't have a lot of nose clearance off the ground (especially since I lowered the nacelles by 7 mm), I suspect occassionally on landing it may tilt forward as it comes to a stop.  This glue will help the foam from getting gouged and torn.
Although I won't know how the build and my modifications turned out until I get a chance to fly it, I'm quite pleased with how it looks and with my final flying weight, I think with the fairly low profile it will be a pretty speedy little beast.  More to come as I get it in the air and start putting it through it's paces.😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott






No comments:

Post a Comment