Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Changes coming to my motor testing protocol

Hi Everyone -

Quite the haul of goodies showed up from Banggood today😊
After considerable discussion with rcplanepirate and some input from one of my new followers Jim L., I decided to use the last of my Christmas money to buy myself a proper thrust stand from Banggood, this RC Lander Outer Rotor Motor Thrust Stand Measuring Table Tester   Is it just me, or does that sound like a very confusing name for something?!😖
There are certainly better test stands out there, but this is within my price range and since Banggood sent me a coupon for $4 off any purchase over $50, it worked out in my favor😉  It is regular $61.59 USD, I paid $57.59.  It is certainly better than this very crude setup I have been using😏
Both Jim and RCPP pointed out that big hunk of lumber is more than likely blocking a lot of airflow to the prop, which probably helps explain a larger part of why my recent test numbers have been so low compared to RCPP's with the same motor and prop.  At least the RC Lander thrust stand will allow a much better flow of air to the prop and won't be "starving" it of air😒

So once that arrives and I get it set up properly, I will redo a bunch of my motor testing and streamline my current motor test spreadsheet considerably since many of those motors I don't use now and probably won't ever use.  I will save the older motors to a separate spreadsheet as I know some folks still use some of them.

Still a few more quad racing motors to show up in the next several weeks, so there will be lots to test before spring😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott


2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,

    This is fantastic, and it is going to be a great Winter for you!

    Lots of “combinations” to test through with existing power systems and new ones on the horizon.

    I believe you invested well with the new test stand and will provide you with some
    valuable comparison data. It should also help in keeping you out of the prop
    arc during tests.

    Enjoy the new equipment, new motors/props, and have FUN in your quest
    to discover that magic combination!

    Thanks for posting and I look forward to continue learning from your efforts and results. It is very much appreciated!


    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim -

      Yes, certainly lots to come in the next few weeks and months as all the goodies arrive in the mail, I'm learning lots as I go along and also confirming some things that I have learned in my research.

      Lots to share, from what I have learned thus far, I'm pretty excited about a couple of the other motors I am waiting for.

      I am confident already that for me using quad racing motors in the right plane is going to be something I add to my "tool box" in the future, the technology keeps getting better and better all the time :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete