Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Initial field testing of the Racerstar BR2406S 2600 Kv motor

Hi Everyone -

Had this Arctic camo beauty out for some action in "Arctic like" conditions today field testing the Racestar BR2406S 2600 Kv motor😊
During today's testing, I was using my standard field test setup - 6x4 APC gas prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery.  During the video, I misspoke several times about the price of the motor (getting old is not for the weak😒)  If you click on the link in the first paragraph, I bought mine on Ebay for $13.93 USD, it is currently available on sale at Banggood for $10.49 (regular price of $12.87), so an every better "bang for the buck" than I mentioned at the end of the video😏

I have already written a "first impression" blog post, on this motor, I would disregard my thrust numbers, these will be redone in the future when I get my proper thrust stand, from what I saw at the field, I would estimate the thrust numbers to be much closer to 30 oz/850 gr.

Here is today's flight video 

So as I said in the video, I would compare this motor's performance closest to the Multistar Viking 2208 2600 Kv motor that I tested already.  Now that I have had a chance to think about it more and review my flight video of the Multistar Viking 2208 2600 Kv motor field testing, I would say that the Viking motor has e a bit of an edge at the top end, and this Racerstar motor is a bit better for low end torque.  However, we are not talking huge differences here and it is my interpretation under different flight conditions, etc, so take that for whatever it is worth😏.  I suppose the biggest difference is the price, $12.87 for the Racerstar (at the time of writing on sale for $10.49) as opposed to $28.14 for the Viking motor (although I got my Viking motor on sale for $16.10 thanks to rcplanepirate😎.)

As mentioned in the video, I have read and watched mixed reviews on the Racerstar motors, they are certainly quite inexpensive compared to other motors around, but lots of folks use them and I can see why.  I was very pleased with the performance of this motor today, perhaps even pleasantly surprised, it certainly has a good "power/torque to dollar ratio"😉.  It is also quite a bit more efficient at full throttle than the Viking motor, pulling 26.9A as opposed to 29.5A.  

Don't get me wrong, I like the Viking motor, it is a very good quality motor, the Racerstar BR2406S 2600 from what I saw today might just be a better value.  Will it be as durable as the Viking motor?  Only time will tell, I have heard people say that the "paint" might come off over time and folks have reported seeing corrosion on the inside of the bell over time.  I would certainly feel confident running the Racerstar motor with a slightly lighter 30A ESC regardless of the temperature, whereas I would feel safest running the Viking motor with a 40A ESC.

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment