Thursday, January 4, 2018

Initial impressions and field testing BrotherHobby Returner R2 2205 2800 Kv motor

Hi Everyone -

Yesterday I managed to get out and field test the BrotherHobby Returner R2 2205 2800 Kv quad racing motor in this little beauty😊
Unfortunately, I didn't take too many pictures of it before I added all the hardware and prop to put in the plane, but if you click on the link in the first paragraph there are lots of detailed photos of the motor from several angles.  It just came packed in a simple small box from Banggood, regular price is $20.99 USD, at the time of writing on sale for $14.99.
The lightest of all the motors I have tested thus far at 40 gr/1.4 oz even after adding connectors, mount, prop and prop nut. 
Until my thrust stand arrives in the mail and I have it set up, I don't have any thrust data, as mentioned in the video below, when I hooked it up to the wattmeter at the field, it pulled about 34.5A at full throttle.  Fortunately, rcplanepirate also picked up one of these motors recently and has done a bench test video already.  If you start watching at about 3:30 of the video, you can see back to back tests of the 6x4 APC electric prop, then the 6x4 APC gas prop, interesting differences.😊

In my research, BrotherHobby seems to have a very good name in quad racing motors.  When inspecting the motor before putting it in the plane, I could see that it was finished really well, a very minimalist approach in construction with no wasted weight.  As I mention in the video and RCPP discusses in his, unfortunately there don't seem to be published amp limits for the motor, but I think you might be safe running it up to 40-45A, it has pretty thick wires on the stator compared to some of the other quad motors I have tested.  

The fit between the bell and stator is very snug, little wasted space there which I have discovered is an area to note when looking for higher performance motors.  The magnets are curved and fairly close together, so when I spin it by hand, I can feel that the magnets are strong, but it isn't "bumpy" which will happen if there is too much gap between the magnets where they are attached to the bell.

Here is the flight video I shot yesterday.


This little motor definitely punches above it's weight.  Compared to the only other 2205 size motor I have field tested thus far (RC Timer FR2205 2550 Kv), this BH motor makes up for lack of size with higher Kv, so it feels like it has the torque of a motor with a larger stator which is good, especially since it is so light.  

After thinking about it some more and reviewing my flight test videos of the EMAX RS2306 2750 kv and BeeRotor Z2207 2780 kv motors, I would say this BH motor is close in top end speed, but those two motors are still the fastest I have tested thus far.  Both the EMAX and BeeRotor motors have better low end torque, but weigh 47 and 50 gr respectively.  Again, considering how light this BH motor is though, that is pretty good company for it to keep😉

I do have another BrotherHobby motor on the way to test, the Returner R4 2205 2700 kv.  I'm not sure what the difference is between R2 and R4 other than the R2 is rated for 3-4S and the R4 is rated for 4-5S, I'm hoping to still be able to run the R4 efficiently on a 3S😔, more testing to come😄

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment