Saturday, April 21, 2018

Initial impressions and testing of the EaglePower SA2306 2888 kv motor - I bought a ticket on the "hype train"

Hi Everyone -

I fully admit sometimes that I see big kv numbers and get starry eyed thinking they will be the best and fastest motors I have ever tested😳.  That is kind of the case with the EaglePower SA2306 2888 kv motor I recently purchased from Banggood.  Regular price for this motor is listed as $21.99 USD, fortunately I picked mine up on sale for $16.49, so the fact it isn't quite what I expected, that takes a bit of the sting out of it😉
However, compared to the DYS Samguk Shu which really turned out to be a dud, I think I might be able to salvage some performance from this EaglePower motor😀  As you can see, it comes with one prop nut and a set of bolts.  Although I expected my prop nut to thread on clockwise, it ended up being a counter clockwise shaft and nut, so I better not lose it😟

This is another "naked bottom" motor, so pretty light, without any hardware, it weighs 28 gr/1.0 oz.

Some more pictures of the motor.

The motor wires are 150mm/5.9" long.  The air gap between the stator and the magnets is fairly tight, however the motor does not spin all that freely by hand, it feels like the magnets are very strong however, so once I get flying it, we will see if the bearings are reasonable.  The Banggood site provides very little information on the motor other than it is supposedly rated for 45A.

It has a 16x19 mm bolt pattern on the bottom, so fits the "X" mount for park jet just fine.  You can see it also uses a small hex bolt to hold the shaft to the motor, but it does not come with a spare.
With the prop, hardware, etc, the motor weighs 46 gr/1.6 oz ready to go in the plane. 
I started testing with the 6x4 APC gas prop and right away was disappointed by the numbers, thinking I might have another dud on my hands.  Here are the best numbers with the 6x4 APC gas prop, Turnigy AE-45A ESC with custom settings of 22.5 degrees timing and 24 KHz PWM frequency on 3S.  I didn't list this on the motor test spreadsheet, but did put all the numbers for the Gemfan 6045 carbon nylon prop which I will be using with this motor for initial field testing.

50% throttle - 12.5A/152.1W producing 515 gr/18.2 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 33.8A/415.4W producing 960 gr/33.9 oz of thrust.

As mentioned, I was disappointed when I saw those numbers, but compared to the Samguk Shu motor, the amp draw was still pretty low and with it being rated as a 45A motor, I decided to try another prop.  Here are the best numbers with the Gemfan 6045 carbon nylon prop again with the Turnigy AE-45A ESC with the custom settings mentioned above on 3S.

50% throttle - 13.4A/163.6W producing 585 gr/20.6 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 32.6A/377.3W producing 1110 gr/39.2 oz of thrust.

So needless to say, I will give it a go and field test it with the Turnigy AE-45A ESC and the GF 6045 CN prop, more testing to follow😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott




No comments:

Post a Comment