Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Racerstar BR2406S 2600 Kv motor - Handle with care :)

Hi Everyone -

I have been a fan of the Racerstar BR2406S 2600 Kv motor since I started experimenting with quad racing motors in park jets.  It is definitely the best motor I have tested under 2700 Kv and probably due to the fact it has the widest stator (24mm) compared to any of the other motors I've tested, it has the most low end torque. 

Plus, it is quite inexpensive for the power it produces, regularly priced at $12.87 USD from Banggood, at the time of writing on sale for $10.56.

So a couple days ago, I was taking it out of a plane to do some more bench testing with a new ESC I got from Hobby King, the Turnigy AE-45A ESC.  I must have pushed a bit too hard on the base of the motor removing the mounting screws as when I tried to spin the motor up on the thrust stand, it was binding😖  I pressed on and did the ESC testing with another motor and then came back to inspect the 2406 motor.

It took me awhile to see what had happened and I forgot to take a picture, but in one spot where I had removed the screw from the "X" mount, I must have pushed against the bottom plate of the motor with either the screw head or the screwdriver.  Where you see the bare metal, this small area was bent up and binding just a bit against the bottom of the bell.
Fortunately, by using a very thin bladed screwdriver and gentle pressure, I managed to bend the bottom plate back flat and the motor runs smooth again.

The outside diameter of the bell is 30mm and from center to center, the standard "X" mount holes are 35mm apart, so a tight tolerance between the mounting hold and the side of the bell.
I think I remember watching a review of this motor or one very similar to it on KababFPV's YouTube channel that the metal used for the bell and base of this motor is quite cheap and I would agree, however, I guess you get what you pay for and thus far the performance of this motor has made up for the cheaper materials.

So just a word of caution if you have one of these motors and are using a standard "X" mount to put it in a park jet or other plane to be aware of how big a screw you use and to be careful not to press against the base plate with the screw or screw driver.😀

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment